350 Austin is a local, grassroots organization committed to the goals and strategies of 350.org. We believe that 350 Austin may be uniquely positioned to influence the direction of climate change action. This is because Austin is the capital of Texas, a state with a long history with the fossil fuel industry, including production, processing, and distribution of fossil fuels. We recognize, however, that the current political climate in our state and the nation makes our work particularly challenging.
The goals of 350.org inform all that we do as we strive to act locally in the global climate movement.
Goal 1: Keep carbon in the ground
- Revoke the social license of the fossil fuel industry
- Fight iconic battles against fossil fuel infrastructure
- Counter industry/government narratives
Goal 2: Help build a new, more equitable low-carbon economy
- Promote investment in community-based sustainability solutions
- Support communities confronting the impacts of climate change & building climate solutions for an economy free of fossil fuels
Goal 3: Pressure governments into limiting emissions
- Run local campaigns targeting leaders
- Capitalize on big regional and international events, like climate negotiations and economic summits
Our monthly meetings are held the third Tuesday of each month at Scholz Garten. Children are welcome. We gather at 6:30pm to eat and visit. The meeting will be called to order promptly at 7pm and adjourned at 8:30pm.
Here are some of the areas where you can pitch in:
- Artful Activism – art and visual support, including but not limited to signs and banners.
- Behind the Scenes – admin., data entry, website maintenance, and other support.
- Communications/Media – web content and support, press releases, social media.
- Community Justice Solutions – learn from community groups who are most vulnerable to the effects of climate change about how 350 Austin can assist
- Divestment – encourage institutions to divest, encourage individuals to transfer funds from financial institutions that invest in extraction industries.
- Event Organization & Outreach – plan big events, assist with welcoming.
- Government Watch – monitor state and local governments.
- Keep It In The Ground – direct action and support for those participating in direct action against extraction projects.
Please let us know what you want to do — on this list and beyond.