350 Austin is a local, grassroots organization committed to the goals and strategies of 350.org. We believe that 350 Austin may be uniquely positioned to influence the direction of climate change action. This is because Austin is the capital of Texas, a state with a long history with the fossil fuel industry, including production, processing, and distribution of fossil fuels. We recognize, however, that the current political climate in our state and the nation makes our work particularly challenging.
The goals of 350.org inform all that we do as we strive to act locally in the global climate movement.
Goal 1: Keep carbon in the ground
- Revoke the social license of the fossil fuel industry
- Fight iconic battles against fossil fuel infrastructure
- Counter industry/government narratives
Goal 2: Help build a new, more equitable low-carbon economy
- Promote investment in community-based sustainability solutions
- Support communities confronting the impacts of climate change & building climate solutions for an economy free of fossil fuels
Goal 3: Pressure governments into limiting emissions
- Run local campaigns targeting leaders
- Capitalize on big regional and international events, like climate negotiations and economic summits