To get Austin to be “Fossil Free Faster”, it’s going to take more than just pressuring Austin Energy (AE). While we are not shifting that focus, we are expanding it to include the LCRA* – AE’s “partner in crime” at the Fayette coal plant. When it comes to the Fayette Power Plant (FPP), it’s about more than just CO2 and its impact on climate change and the health of the nearby community – as bad as those effects are.
There’s a water grab going on. And if you want to get Texans riled up, just go after their water.
Al Braden, Austin’s own photographer extraordinaire and long-time activist on climate change, will be leading us in what is bound to be a very motivating discussion on how to get organized to take on the LCRA* in our goal of shutting down the Fayette Power Plant altogether.
And don’t forget that we have candidates’ forums to plan, so come prepared to roll up your sleeves as we get to work on that pressing project. Solar Austin is partnering with 350 Austin, so we can make new friends while we identify when and where the forums will be held. And draft the questions we want our mayoral and city council candidates to answer.
Here are all the details for 350 Austin’s August Open Meeting:
- Tuesday, 8/21 from 7 to 8:30 pm.
- First UU Church at 4700 Grover Ave, 78756.
- Food always makes work more fun, so feel free to bring Finger Foods to share! (No access to the kitchen!)
- Parking. We’ve been told we can ignore the “Reserved for Massage School” signs.
- Bus. Stop ID #974 (49th & Grover).
- Facebook event to invite your friends!